Women face many obstacles in the world...I know we have all heard this before. The obstacles range from power struggles at work to getting roped into to paying higher prices for tires. As a woman, I get tired hearing the same complaints regurgitated over and over again. That is what men would call nagging, right, even though the problem originating the complaint has not been resolved. There are times however, when I don't necessarily want the problem resolved; I just want some validation or to know I am not alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well, you're definitely not alone, sad to say. I thought I had resolved the problem by not relying on the community at large or other people for validation, and then my well-earned "smile-lines" and newly natural grey hair (identified as pewter by a loveable hairdresser) betrayed the sad truth that I'm not in my 50s anymore and suddenly I'm "honey" or "sweetie" to perfect strangers. And it turns out, I do still need validation, despite 50 years of supporting myself at tough, frequently male-oriented jobs, raising 5 kids usually on my own, and generally feeling I'd proven my value to everyone, including me. Based on my instantly raised "diss" antenna - hello, old friend - I have to rebuild my self-validation profile all over again.
ReplyDeletehseofsun....anytime you need re-validating, look at how amazing your kids are, truly. In my book, you radiate autonomy and an exuberant zeal for life...
ReplyDeleteDefinitely not alone here. As a stay at home Mom of two kids, having "not worked" for over nine years now, I find myself constantly asking for validation that the work I do IS important and valuable. I just don't get a paycheck for the job I do. All I'm asking for is a little respect for what I do...and I guess, validation for myself.
ReplyDelete